Some people seem to be waiting for that magical day to arrive when all of their problems are solved, and they are finally free to be happy.
They may be waiting for someone to give them permission to be happy, perhaps believing that this is how happiness comes into being. They may be waiting a long time.
Have you put happiness on hold because you think it comes from outside of yourself?
Perhaps you’ve been going at it backwards. If you’ve been waiting for some Happiness Delivery Service to show up and bring it to your door, you are missing the point.
Only you can decide to be happy. You can start right now, in this moment. Or in 15 minutes, if you prefer. Add it to your to-do list for the day: ‘Happiness Hour’.
It is highly unlikely that anyone outside of yourself could have the power to bestow happiness upon you. Challenges and problems are a part of life, and only you can give yourself permission to smile.
If you don’t yet have the things that you just know will make you happy, and are depending on having the right job, home, relationship, weight loss, vacation, time off, etc…. to do this for you, you may have forgotten that you already know how to be happy.
Happiness is an energy, and also a choice.
If you’re going through a challenging and difficult time, as so many people are now, it can feel impossible to become happy in the midst of it. If you sink yourself into constant worrying about your present time conditions, you may forget the power you have within to change your reality energetically.
Sometimes all it takes is a big belly laugh, forgiveness, an attitude adjustment, finding gratitude, listening to your body, doing something different – to remember how quickly ‘reality’ changes.
Also remember, when it comes down to it, some things are just out of your control. If you’re worrying about those things, you’re spending valuable energy on conditions you simply cannot change.
Ten happy things to do instead of worrying:
- 1. Laugh out loud, even if you don’t really mean it. At the very least you’ll get some fresh air.
- 2. Make up silly riddles. (Do vegetarians wear fishnets?)
- 3. Eat expensive and amazing dark chocolate. Savor every bite.
- 4. Breathe, drink tea, and meditate on what’s right in your life. Do this before letting the rest of the world into your space – first thing in the morning is highly recommended.
- 5. Stop trying to make sense to everyone. While you’re at it, let go of needing to be perfect too.
- 6. Turn OFF the TV, especially the news.
- 7. Listen to music that feels good, and dance to it.
- 8. Try on hats you never thought you’d ever wear. Or just the ones that you haven’t let yourself wear yet.
- 9. Write country song titles. My newest ones are “Take the Chains Off My Heart, (It’s Not a Snow Tire)” and “Designated Driver For the Pain”.
- 10. Sit still for 5 minutes. When you begin to fidget after the first 20 seconds, really get into it. Fidget loudly and like you mean it.
Rather than over-think the idea of being happy, ask yourself, what are you giving, being, or doing to create happiness in the world?
Make your own happiness list. How can you help someone else? What do you have to give to others, a smile, a hello, kindness? Perhaps it’s in the giving of yourself that you can find the keys to your own happiness.
“You’ve got to get up every morning with a smile on your face
And show the world all the love in your heart
Then people gonna treat you better
You’re gonna find, yes you will
That you’re beautiful as you feel” -’Beautiful’ ©Carole King
‘Koala Smile’ Image on Morguefile